Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
This recipe makes a meat sauce spaghetti, but you can leave out the meat if desired. It will still taste wonderful.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 1 pound ground beef optional
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 28 ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 16 ounce package of uncooked spaghetti
- Parmesan cheese optional
Brown the ground beef and drain off any grease.
Chop the onion, garlic and bell pepper.
Warm the olive oil in a large skillet. Sauté the onion, garlic and bell pepper until soft.
Add the ground beef.
Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Stir well.
Add the bay leaf, marjoram, basil, oregano, and thyme. Add the salt and pepper. Stir well.
Simmer for 15-20 minutes, then taste. Adjust the seasonings if desired. Cook for an additional 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve over freshly cooked spaghetti.